The original Franco-American fashion connection has long divided designers like Marc Jacobs and Alexander Wang between residences in New York and Paris for respective fashion seasons at their eponymous labels and the French fashion houses they creatively direct. The cities’ disparate contributions to the fashion world have made them competitive entities that are mutually exclusive and, until recently, New York was one of the only major American fashion players on the scene.
But the design world’s recent obsession with LA can hardly go unnoticed. From Hedi Slimane decamping in the sunny city for his comeback at the newly minted Saint Laurent Paris to John Galliano’s temporary home away from home (pre ODLR, of course), the California hotspot is no longer reserved solely for film.
Take French designer Isabel Marant who opened the doors to her Melrose Place boutique earlier this month – her California inspired pieces are simultaneously chic and bohemian, and slowly becoming the staple uniform of it-girls everywhere.
What makes this look so covetable? It’s a blend of gypset Americana and French insouciance that screams effortless chic. Think flowy paisley dresses and floppy wide-brimmed hats pulled together through skinny jeans, stilettos and silk blouses. It’s disheveled Bardot beauty where late Sixties Woodstock meets the French Riviera. Check out our picks that will take you from the Hollywood Hills to the City of Lights.
1. Style inspiration: Saint Laurent Paris, image via style.com
2. Style inspiration: Isabel Marant, image via style.com
3. La Notte Marcello T-Shirt, $30, available at Aritzia
4. Saint Laurent Ring, $290, available at Net-a-Porter
5. Eugenia Kim Velour Fedora, $101, available at Shopbop
6. Club Monaco Strawberry Fields Pant, $150
7. Free People New Romantics Dress, $227
8. Isabel Marant Dicker Boots, $600, available at Net-A-Porter
By: Ali Leier, Vancouver
You should follow me on Twitter @alileier.
Are you an employer? Post your job here.
Are you a job seeker? Find fashion jobs here.