As a child, I was quite fond of anything that glittered. I absolutely loved my glitter markers, glitter glue, glitter lip glosses, glitter barrettes, glitter ballet flats, glitter denim—okay, maybe I had a slight glitter obsession back then. As I grew into a young adult, objects that sparkled or even had a hint of glimmer became increasingly less enchanting, for they held a juvenile quality that ran counter to the sophisticated style I was trying to develop.
Recently Ann Wintour and the rest of the fashion Gods opened my eyes to the fact that glitter is actually not childish (hallelujah!). The dominance of glistening statement earrings, sparkling broaches and shiny clutches on the runway proved that glitter is indeed chic and whimsical. Glittery boots are hands down my favourite of the glitter trend, because they can add a certain je ne sais quoi to any bland daytime outfit. Furthermore, with New Year’s right around the corner (adios 2015) adding sparkle to your toes can definitely elevate a party look.
Here are a few boots that will encourage you to jump feet first into the glitter trend without looking like you went a little cray-cray with the glitter glue.
1. Asos Entry Shoe Boots, $50
2. If the Shoe Slits Glitter Ankle Boot (also available in black), $108, available at Nasty Gal
3. Zara High Heel Glitter Booties, $50
4. Salvatore Ferragamo ‘Liskia’ Booties, $880, available at Farfetch
5. Sophia Webster Delilah Desert Glitter Boot, $225, available at Hudson’s Bay
6. Jeffrey Campbell Mod-Pod Ankle Boot (also available in black), $150USD
7. Sam Edelman Edith Ankle Booties, $171
8. Senso Sadie Bootie, $175USD, available at Revolve Clothing
By Sasha Smith, Toronto
Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram for the latest fashion jobs, career advice and fashion trends!