Purses and bags are my favourite accessory. I have more than I probably should, but I always find a way to justify a new one. This year, purse trends for the spring aren’t a complete surprise. Seasonal favourites like florals and pastels are back, textures and black and white add some luxury, while classic shapes continue the retro comeback. Since a handbag is a personal item made for carrying your everyday items, only you can know what works best. But in the meantime, I’ve picked a few of the ones I love for the spring.
1. This purse exemplifies the top handle trend. A feminine take on the doctor bag, the top handle is big with a structured everyday bag, but we’ve also seen it in smaller versions all over the runway. ASOS Top handle handbag, $120.
2. For evenings or weekend brunches, the clutch is getting a makeover. The larger, less structured clutch is being favoured over its hard shell-like predecessor. Deux Lux Clutch, $115, available at Nordstrom.
3. Pastels are always a spring staple. This season we’re seeing lots of blush and petal pinks but this green is a nice alternative. Fossil mini bag, $88.
4. I have to admit I was surprised to see the bucket bag make a comeback. It seems so dated to me but once I saw the makeover it got (great hardware, bright colours and lots of detail) I must say I may be coming around. Stella McCartney, $1075, available at Ssense.
5. Fringe is back. This hippie inspired look is perfect for the coming summer months of music festivals and beach trips. Rebecca Minkoff, $215, available at Nordstrom.
6. If you just can’t pick one texture or material, then a mixed media handbag is for you. The combination of leather with studs, or linen and canvas is a great way to add detail and make a statement. Juicy Couture, $160
By: Rachel Ingram, Toronto