My French may not be perfect, but there is one thing I am certain of: J’ adore Paris! The City of Lights is the birthplace of haute couture and home to the most iconic designers, not the mention, the reason why I live and breathe fashion. My list of favourites from the Fall 2011 shows is numerous: McQueen, Balenciaga, Margiela, Miyake, Chalayan… and the list goes on. These are just a few highlights:
1. Sarah Burton carries on the McQueen legacy with stunning, beautifully crafted pieces. Inspired by ice queens, the collection showcases a contrast between softness and a hard edge: frayed organza, zipper detailing and laced-up killer footwear.
2. Latex, theatre, models gone wild and a track called “Government Hooker”? If you have yet to see the Mugler show in action, I insist you watch it now. The collection gave reason to go Gaga – literally!
3. In my books, Karl Lagerfeld can do no wrong. The Chanel collection consisted of iconic blazers remixed with looser shapes, grunge-inspired bottoms, boxy jumpsuits and a dark palette.
4. Roar! The Givenchy collection was ablaze with panther fever. Ricardo Tisci artfully printed the animal’s spots all over his pieces, topping things off with cat-eye glasses and panther-ear caps. I have my eye on one of those fierce panther print silk sweaters.
5. I love Gareth Pugh’s expert ability to craft intricate pieces. His fall collection was dark, gothic and space-like. Now a trek to the Moon is in order….
6. In a perfect world, we would all live in Lanvin. Alber Elbaz showed fantastic separates, elegantly crafted dresses, luxurious outerwear and accessories fit for a queen (or at least a bona fide fashionista)
All photos courtesy of Style.com.
By: Valerie Tiu, Vancouver
Tweet me your favourites from #PFW, @valerietiu.
Are you an employer? Post your job here.
Are you a job seeker? Find fashion jobs here.