As the temperatures are set to rise for Spring, it’s time to embrace the fast approaching warm weather and beat the heat with this season’s bare essential: the fun and flirty retro bralette.
Influenced by the quintessential fusion of an undergarment and crop top, the bralette pays homage to the volumptious pin up girls of the 40s and 50s. Drawing inspiration from the return of retro dressing in collections such as Dolce & Gabbana, Nina Ricci, Miu Miu and Prada, wear your feminine bralette with retro repertoire style and in true ladylike fashion by pairing it with a high waisted, knee length pencil or A-line skirt or high waisted trousers for just the right amount of skin exposure in your midriff suitable for daytime dressing.
The key to wearing the bralette is to keep skin exposure to a bare minimum. Avoid wearing anything on the bottom that reveals your bellybutton, as this is certain to turn a flirty, feminine look into a cheap and overly exposed outfit. If you’re worried about displaying your less than perfect midriff with this stomach-baring trend, you can still don your bralette by opting to wear a light blazer or jacket over top. Alternatively, try a sheer blouse to adopt the illusion of the exposed bralette without all the skin but with just as much sexiness.
Bare as you dare!
1. Style Inspiration: Dolce & Gabbana Spring 2012 Ready-to-Wear collection, image courtesy of Style.com
2. Topshop “Ditsy Floral” Bralet, 22 Euros
3. Free People Stretch Gingham Crop bralette, $77 CAD
4. Dolce & Gabbana Chili Pepper Print cotton bustier, $1,000 USD, available at Net-A-Porter
5. Miso Lace Bralet, 20 Euros, available at Republic
6. Miu Miu Cropped Cotton Top, $550 USD, available at Net-A-Porter
7. Topshop Neoprene Crop Bralet, $16
8. VPL Insertion Bra, $113 USD, available at Farfetch
By: Megan Correia, Toronto
You should follow me on Twitter @MeganAlyssaC.
Are you an employer? Post your job here.
Are you a job seeker? Find fashion jobs here.