|Date Posted||Jul 11, 2018|
|Job Type||Full Time|
Job Type: Full-Time, Permanent
Start Date of Employment (Approx.): As soon as possible
Minimum Education: Bachelor's Degree
Positions Available: 1
NOC Group: (5243)
Job Number: 499916
1818 Cornwall Ave
Vancouver, British Columbia
V6J 1C7 Canada
Design Director, Labs
About this team
The Design Director, Labs at lululemon leads a team of designers in creating world class athletic apparel that is acknowledged as leading in innovation, design, function, fit and quality. Under the mentorship of the SVP of Men’s Design you lead a team of designers in creating a line from inception of ideas to production of garments. You are responsible for your team’s execution of the Creative Direction.
You combine active product use experience, market knowledge and trend research to inform your point of view on how to build a seasonal collection of functional, innovative, quality designs. You are a master at enrolling your team of designers and cross functional partners in executing this vision.
You partner with athletes to continually elevate and innovate our product.
Teamwork and clear communication are essential. You are a leader on the cross functional team collaborating with design operations, product development, fit, merchandising, raw materials development, colour and sourcing ensuring all teams have the most up to date information on each style.
A day in the life:
• Ability to communicate feedback in fittings so that style changes can be effectively executed and passion for teaching this to others
• Responsible for ensuring all styles deliver our standards of quality, beauty and function to our guest
• Collaborate with Product Development, Raw Materials and Whitespace teams on the testing of products and fabrics by athletes and ensure results are incorporated into design concepts
• Awareness of what’s happening in the athletic and fashion industry – research
• Awareness of how the line is currently performing in stores - work in the stores, lead design meetings, partner with athletes and action feedback for continual innovation of product
• Responsible for understanding the impact of your decisions on timelines and margins and for coaching other designers on the team
• Responsible for reviewing and coaching designers in writing powerful “Why We Made This” lines
• Ability to travel to offshore factories and on inspiration trips as needed
• Bachelors degree required
• Minimum 7 years experience in the textiles industry with expert knowledge of garment construction, patterning, textiles, sewing techniques and technology applications
• Minimum 5 years managing a team
• Experience managing/forecasting budgets for division
• Natural ability to oversee and lead the team in the design and development of product, ensuring commercial viability with the Product Developer, Raw Materials Developer, Merchant and Sourcing Manager
• Proficiency with Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Excel, Word, Mac platform
• Past experience communicating with offshore factories
• Acknowledges the presence of choice in every moment and takes personal responsibility for their life.
• Possesses an entrepreneurial spirit and continuously innovates to achieve great results.
• Communicates with honesty and kindness, and creates the space for others to do the same.
• Leads with courage, knowing the possibility of greatness is bigger than the fear of failure.
*Comprehensive benefits package including extended medical, dental, disability, & RRSP matching and performance based bonus available. We offer a competitive salary based on experience and support in relocation costs for qualified candidates not residing in Vancouver. The employee is eligible for performance based salary increases & bonuses.