|Date Posted||November 22, 2022|
Posted: lululemon athletica
Job Type: Full-Time, Permanent
Salary: $200,000 - $250,000 CAD
Start Date of Employment (Approx.): As soon as possible
Positions Available: 1
1818 Cornwall Ave
Vancouver, British Columbia
V6J 1C7 Canada
Who we are
lululemon is an innovative performance apparel company for yoga, running, training, and other athletic pursuits. Setting the bar in technical fabrics and functional design, we create transformational products and experiences that support people in sweating, growing, connecting, and being well.
At lululemon, we set audacious goals, nurture big growth, and engineer innovative products that allow people to feel—and perform—their best. To us, leadership is more than a role or title—it’s a way of being. We are all leaders, committed to growth and results.
Together, we’re co-creating a future that otherwise wouldn’t exist. To do that, we’re looking for people who unite diverse perspectives in order to execute bold visions, Who strive to be better than they were yesterday. Who are all in, in everything they do.
We’re looking for you. Join us.
About this team
The Raw Materials Innovation team shapes, surprises and engineers delight into the future guest experience through advanced innovation principles and material science. We go beyond the classic research and development methodologies into the realm of limitless possibility for both body and mind. We innovate new materials that didn't exist, we innovate new manufacturing techniques that didn’t exist, we create new experiences for our guests that they didn't know that they wanted it. We engineer new sensations and functionality in our materials. We lead the industry in creating sustainable materials. We need you to work on short, mid and long-term projects by defining 'state of the art', leading research, building insight, generating unique point of view, creating prototypes and proving principles.
A day in the life:
Good morning! You have started your day even before you arrive at the office by making calls to your consultants, your vendor partners and the academia / labs in Asia & Europe to get an update on the progress of new material being spun / knitted / woven. With a fresh perspective you dive into your team meeting, a quick conversation with the research and sweat testing teams, and then up to your desk to check in with status of requests sent to your research and manufacturing partners in Asia & Europe. Overnight, your partners in overseas have filled your inbox with data from the trials on that amazing new material that you can’t wait to realize. You enroll your teammates and cross functional teams to elevate your idea, and then you’re off into the “field”, to the library or to a far corner of the Internet where an interesting thread of inspiration is taking shape. A quick distraction as the phone rings and you are called into a meeting to explain how the new fabric that your team developed has such a high breathability. In the afternoon, you get a teammate that is trying to solve a complex combination of yarns; there’s a phenomenon that they just don’t understand, so you help them understand it give some hints for a solve. In the afternoon you jump on conference call where you are getting your vendor partner, a technology company and research institute to collaborate on a future solve. By the time 5:30 rolls around, you’ve hit a target, set a goal and changed the world just a little bit.
The finer print
• Fostering Innovation - Looking beyond the norm in developing new product or practices and embracing necessary change. Bring new ideas and concepts to the RM innovation roadmap. Collaborate with leading machinery manufacturers and technology companies to bring new functionalities to our materials. Understand business needs, understand macro and micro trends and bring the learnings to the team.
Look within and into adjacent industries for inspiration. Bring an outside of the box thinking to the materials world.
• Managing Project Complexity - Ability to execute minor, major and platform level projects from start to finish.
• Providing Leadership - Take ownership of projects, be decisive while considering the overall project and resources involved. Takes global consideration of each decision and action.
• Problem Solving - Effectively analyzing all aspects of a problem, gathering necessary data, consulting others, making an informed decision and communicating to the appropriate people.
• Partnering Cross Functionally - Partner with leaders of Merchandising, Design & Prodcut Development to develop the Raw Materials Strategic Road Maps. Ensure education of raw materials for the cross-functional POD teams and elevate the functionality of fabrics in relation to feel, function & aesthetics. Seek experts in the industry for specialty skills & knowledge related to textile & non-textile materials.
• People development – Build a team structure that would drive and delivery the best in class material innovations and maintain our leadership position. Work with your team in developing them, support their vision and goal and create the next best innovators in the world.
• Being Kind to the Planet - Initiate sustainable raw materials and processes and drive significant environmental and social/economic results which change the world. Raise the bar and actively participate in world-wide organizations that share objectives & causes.
• Masters degree or PhD in Textiles or Material, Manufacturing Sciences or an allied field with a strong emphasis on textiles or manufacturing.
• 10-15 years of apparel industry experience in fiber, textiles or materials.
• 7-10 years proven management experience leading a team and business strategies.
• Experience working on site with manufacturers around the world and strong knowledge of supply chain operations.
• Proven team player with knowledge of cross-functional team accountabilities and requirements.
• Ability to simultaneously manage complex projects and clearly communicate updates to key stakeholders.
• Excellent communication skills, both written and oral. Able to communicate findings to both scientists and nonscientists with strong presentation skills.
• Strong desire for continuous education within the textile and corresponding industries.
• Innovation runs through your veins and you create with a true solution focus whatever the application.
• Ability to be the team captain and you can always enroll others in trusting you and participating in your vision
• Capacity to observe, listen and read between the lines, your analytical mind leads others to seek you out. You have innovation running through your veins and you create with a true solution focus whatever the application.
• Critical thinking, problem solving, and analytical skills to determine which tests to conduct and to interpret the results of those tests. You participate in wear testing to experience the product first hand.
• Experienced in creating intellectual property and you understand its importance. You ensure proper Intellectual Property protection with internal and external legal teams.
• Understanding that success is found in an attention to detail throughout the entire process and you put the guest first. You may well be the world’s greatest entrepreneurial scientist.
• Acknowledges the presence of choice in every moment and takes personal responsibility for their life.
• Possesses an entrepreneurial spirit and continuously innovates to achieve great results.
• Communicates with honesty and kindness, and creates the space for others to do the same.
• Leads with courage, knowing the possibility of greatness is bigger than the fear of failure.
• Fosters connection by putting people first and building trusting relationships.
• Integrates fun and joy as a way of being and working.
*Comprehensive benefits package including extended medical, dental, disability, & RRSP matching and performance based bonus available. We offer a competitive salary based on experience and support in relocation costs for qualified candidates not residing in Vancouver. The employee is eligible for performance based salary increases & bonuses