|Date Posted||February 7, 2022|
Posted: lululemon athletica
Job Type: Full-Time, Permanent
Salary: $75,000-130,000 CAD
Start Date of Employment (Approx.): As soon as possible
Positions Available: 1
1818 Cornwall Ave
Vancouver, British Columbia
V6J 1C7 Canada
Who we are
lululemon is a yoga-inspired technical apparel company up to big things. The practice and philosophy of yoga informs our overall purpose to elevate the world through the power of practice. We are proud to be a growing global company with locations all around the world, from Vancouver to Shanghai, and places in between. We owe our success to our innovative product, our emphasis on our stores, our commitment to our people, and the incredible connections we get to make in every community we are in.
About this team
The Accessories design team is a diverse team of creative and strategic thinkers, who are future thinking, detail-orientated and solution focussed. They are at the forefront of activewear and aware of macro lifestyle and fashion trends and how this relates to the active industry. They are passionate about Run, Train & Yoga, and fulfilling every guest’s needs in their wardrobes. They are strong communicators who value and develop their cross functional relationships. This is a team of high performers who are constantly striving to develop personally and professionally, practicing open feedback in a trusting space. This team knows how to bring fun into their everyday, prioritising team connection and enjoying sweat & creative sessions together.
A day in the life:
The Designer at lululemon creates world class athletic Accessories that is acknowledged as leading in innovation, design, function, fit and quality. Under the mentorship & partnership of the Senior Designer, Design Manager and Design Director you create and develop the line from inception of ideas to production of garments.
• You are responsible for designing and executing seasonal styles that reflect lululemon’s Design ethos. You are responsible for both the conceptual creation of the style and the administrative work of maintaining this information throughout the season.
• You combine active product use experience, market knowledge, trend research, and collaboration between lululemon designers to create functional, innovative, quality designs. You will have clear reference points in terms of understanding product storytelling, design and construction.
• Have an informed point of view and be an expert on silhouette, fabric, trim, technology, and trend through travel, research, and product usage experience.
• Contribute in all aspects of design: technical, sketching, presentations, fittings and brainstorming functional solutions for your product line (you are the master of Illustrator).
• Ability to quickly and accurately communicate design vision through technical and detailed sketches.
• Strong knowledge of cut ‘n sew construction and patterning with specific knowledge of headwear and gear; strong understanding of sewing techniques and applications.
• Responsible for fitting styles to accurately communicate their design intent
• Responsible for ensuring all styles deliver our standards of quality, beauty and function to our guest in full and on time as per our GTM calendars and key gates and dates.
• Responsible for writing “Why We Made This” lines for all of styles you are personally designing
• Support the designer in cross-functional teamwork with the other pods at lululemon
• Strong awareness of what’s trending in sports and mindfulness industry – research with an emphasis on headwear
• Awareness of how the line is currently performing in stores - work in the stores (monthly schedule TBD), lead design meetings, partner with athletes and ambassadors and action feedback for continual innovation of product
• Responsible for understanding the impact of your decisions on timelines and margins
• Have a strong desire to learn and remain in curiosity, be connected to the athlete
• Work on the lululemon floor in one of our stores once per quarter
• collaborating with product development, fit, merchandising, raw materials development and colour, sourcing and design operations ensuring your teams have the most up to date information on each style.
• You have razor sharp attention to detail around product/process so that we build beautiful technical athletic apparel. You have a clear understanding of function and how to embed style, beauty and fashion where needed. Finding a balance in the product.
• BA, BFA or BS in Design required (or equivalent)
• 4 + years minimum of accessory or apparel design experience is required
• Thorough understanding of cut & sew fabrications and construction techniques
• Product development and production experience
• Proficient in Adobe Illustrator
• Proficiency with Adobe Photoshop, Excel, Word, Mac platform
• An understanding in 3D design would be a benefit
*Comprehensive benefits package including extended medical, dental, disability, & RRSP matching and performance based bonus available. We offer a competitive salary based on experience and support in relocation costs for qualified candidates not residing in Vancouver. The employee is eligible for performance based salary increases & bonuses.