As your quintessential ‘90s kid, my favourite piece of clothing growing-up was my pair of denim overalls. They were the perfect shade of blue with gold heart-shaped buttons running down the side, and I thought I was the coolest girl on the playground when I wore them. I loved that they were a quick and easy outfit, extremely comfortable and, most importantly, they were totes cute.
Although I had to say goodbye to my childhood coveralls quite sometime ago after they became too tattered to wear, my fondness for overalls has yet to fade. I still enjoy the luxuries that they have to offer, and once spring arrives I’m more than ready to pull my overalls out from the back of my closet. On the weekend I pretty much live in my vintage Levi’s dungarees, but occasionally I like to refresh my nine-to-five wardrobe with a chic pair overalls. It takes a bit more creative styling to wear overalls as a working adult than it did when I was a carefree child, but when done right it looks flawless. Here are five ways to look like an adult while wearing your favourite wardrobe staple from childhood.
The distressed hipster look is great for the weekend, but during the week nothing beats a pair of sleek black overalls. Pair them with office-safe pieces—a white blouse, pumps and a tote bag—for an outfit that is classic and work-appropriate.
The average denim overall may not be suitable for conservative work environments, so choose options with an aura of modernity. The deep V-neck and cropped length of this one-piece from Zara is perfect because it will give you that modern (and office friendly) look, while keeping the classic comfort of overalls. I love to wear my pair with loafers and a crisp button-down for a menswear inspired outfit.
Bring a little edge to your work ensembles with a pair of leather overalls. Avoid looking like you’re about to join a biker gang by counterbalancing the hardness of the leather with soft ultra-feminine pieces, such as a lace blouse and pearl accessories.
The playfulness and easy-breezy nature of denim overalls make them the perfect Casual Friday outfit. Choose darker wash denim without distressing for a look that is chic, but doesn’t push the boundaries of business casual.
If you’re not quite ready to make the time-jump back to your childhood by sporting a pair of overalls, I’ve got your solution. With its dungaree-style straps and feminine touch, an overall dress is the perfect alternative to the traditional style. Forgo denim dresses as they may read too casual for the office, and look for options that are black, navy and grey or have pinstripe detailing, such as this one from Topshop.
1. Mango Contrast Panel Blouse, $89.95
2. Tibi Silk Overall Jumpsuit, $525
3. Zara Contrast Tote, $25.99
4. Aldo Haollan High Heel, $100
5. Mango Chest-Pocket Cotton Shirt, 69.95
6. Mango Palazzo Dungarees, $89.95
7. ASOS Pocket Stud Tote Bag, $49.97
8. Calvin Klein Celia Patent Leather Loafers, $131, available at Hudson’s Bay
9. Topshop Taplow blouse by Unique, £145 (approx. $264.59 CAD)
10. BCBG MAX AZRIA Jamee Crop Faux Leather Overalls, $395.83. available at Nordstrom
11. Forever 21 Coiled Faux Pearl Cuff, $6.90
12. Nasty Gal Avenue d’Orsay Pump, $120
13. H&M Striped Jersey Top, $19.99
14. French Connection Riviera Denim Wide Leg Dungarees, $118
15. Zara Basic City Bag, $49.90
16. ASOS MOTTO Flatforms, $42.73
17. Wilfred Copernic Sweater, $115, available at Aritzia
18. Sacha London Venice, $217, available at SHOEme.com
19. Topshop Striped Pinafore Dress, £36 (approx. 65.69)
20. Babaton Matthew Blouse, $95, available at Aritzia
21. Matt and Nat Tamsin, $150
Style inspiration image courtesy of Song of Style
By Sasha Smith
Are you an employer? Post your fashion job here.
Are you a job seeker? Find fashion jobs here.
Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram for the latest fashion jobs, career advice and fashion trends!