Now that spring clothes have started to appear in stores, it’s hard to resist buying for the warmer days ahead even though technically it’s still winter.
But we have some important news: these warm weather purchases can be justified by pairing them with your pre-existing winter wardrobe. And what’s more, you can make them work for the office, too. Cue: layering. This list will showcase five spring pieces and how to pair them with your winter staples to achieve a work-appropriate outfit with a bit of spring in your step.
Slip Dress + Turtleneck
Everyone’s favourite trend from the ‘90s is here to stay. The slip dress, at an office-appropriate length, works best with a fitted turtleneck. Keep it monochromatic with a black and white combo.
Off-the-Shoulder Top + White Button Up
The major fashion trend from last summer is back again and luckily it looks chic layered overtop of a white button up blouse. Let the spring vibes in by pairing with high-waisted navy trousers
Floral Print Dress + Black Trousers
Are florals ever not in style for spring? The contrast of the delicate fabric and dainty pattern with sharp black pants makes for a killer outfit. This look can handle a shorter hem line due to the coverage of the pants and if you find a dress with a high neckline, all the better.
Pleated Skirt + Crew Neck Sweater
Feeling ladylike? A pleated mid-length skirt in a dusty rose colour will lend a sophisticated touch to a plain black sweater and will go great with a pair of contrasting utility-inspired sandals when summer is finally here. For winter, add a pair of new season shoes like a sling-back kitten heel pump or leather loafers to complete the look.
Pajama Robe Coat + Jeans
Ultimate spring coat, meet casual Friday staple. For the past couple of seasons, boudoir dressing has made its way from the runway to the streets, and now it’s reached the office. The pajama-inspired coat is a super fresh way to dress up your denim and bring some life back into casual Friday. Just make sure to avoid any rips or raw edge hems to keep it polished and cool for the office.
Inspirational Imagery Courtesy of Pinterest.
- Vince Spaghetti Strap Midi Dress, $316.31, available at Nordstrom.
- Ribbed Polo-Neck Jumper, $14.99, available at H&M.
- Off-the-Shoulder Striped Blouse, $45.90, available at Zara.
- Stretch Shirt, $19.99, available at H&M.
- Geon. J Floral Print Dress, $1,143.39, available at Revolve.
- Isabel Marant Black Ovida Trousers, $700, available at SSENSE.
- Babaton Jude Skirt, $125, available at Aritzia.
- Batwing Sleeve Sweater, $45.90, available at Zara.
- Sea Printed Silk Kimono, $565, available at Net-a-Porter.
- AGOLDE Jamie High-Rise Jean, $189, available at Urban Outfitters.
Kelly McLeod, Toronto, @KellyMcleod7
Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram for the latest fashion jobs, career advice and fashion trends!