Prepare yourself for a little deep sea diving into Spring’s most aquatic influence: the ocean. As seen on the ready-to-wear runways of Versace, Alexander McQueen and most notably, Chanel for Karl Lagerfeld’s reconstruction of the ocean floor, under the sea style is sure to make a splash this season.
Found 20 legions under the sea, this trend gives a nod to the mermaid siren, using iridescent sequins and fabrics to recreate the glimmer of the sea, adding a touch of sparkle and shine to your outfit. Incorporate Spring style by using aquatic touches like coral and aqua tones, oceanic embellishments and detailing like starfish, seahorses and shell accessories to create your own ocean chic.
Keep in mind, sea Goddesses, to use pieces sparingly. You don’t want to end up looking costume-y by adding too many “on trend” elements. Choose a key piece – sequin, iridescence or sea print – and build from there. Now what are you waiting for? Dive in and take the plunge!
1. Style Inspiration: Versace Spring 2012 Ready-to-Wear collection, image courtesy of Style.com
2. Philosophy di Alberta Ferretti Paillette Dress, $1,295 USD, available on Net-A-Porter
3. Kenneth Jay Lane Coral Enamel Branch Cuff, 120 Euros, available on Pret-A-Beaute
4. Celestina “Marciel Soriano” Large Paua Shell Minaudière, 525 Euros, available on Browns Fashion
5. Zara Ocean Printed Dress, $46
6. H&M Metal Starfish Ring, $5
7. Topshop Mermaid Sequin T-Shirt, 48 Euros
8. Charlotte Olympia “Sea Shells” Sandal, $1,518, available on Nordstrom
By: Megan Correia, Toronto
You should follow me on Twitter @MeganAlyssaC.
Are you an employer? Post your job here.
Are you a job seeker? Find fashion jobs here.